Tuesday, February 9, 2010

What I think about LA X part one and two

I'm so excited to have Lost back, it was a very very long hiatus! At the end of last years finale I thought I would try doing a recap of every episode before the Final season premier, I quickly found out that was going to be impossible for me. Instead I decided to collect and read all the books that have been shown and referenced on Lost. I love this plan because not only has it got me back into reading but this plan will last me a very long time if not a life time of wanting to read good books!

I thought I could blog about what I liked and found interesting about the episodes this season. So, first I will blog about the show and then I will blog about the books that were referenced in the episode and talk a little about the books I'm reading right now.

I wasn't surprised to see that the first scene was Jack back on flight 815 but I was surprised that they are going the route of showing what happened if the bomb went off and if it didn't go off! My theory all summer was that the bomb did go off and we would see them back on the plane but they would still end up crashing on the island. I never thought about them doing it the way they are, that's one reason I love Lost!
I loved the eerie feeling of the first sideways flash. I really felt like they set the mood for us to think that he was confused about where he was and how he got there but not yet having clearly defined memories of the Island.

I thought the scene where there was the most turbulence was so suspenseful and I still thought at that time they might still crash on the island, again. I thought it was interesting that Rose and Jacks roles were a little switched with Rose comforting Jack. I think her telling Jack that he could let go was a nod to his problems with letting go and wanting to fix everything.

I have read other people's theories about how they feel that Rose and Bernard know more than everyone else and I can see how you would think that and I'm starting to wonder if that is how Rose knew Bernard wasn't dead but I don't know if that makes sense since Bernard didn't have that same feeling and asked Sawyer and Micheal if there was an African American woman in their camp.

I loved how Bernard said he almost died in that bathroom, which he almost did the first flight also!


I am completely puzzled by Jack going to the bathroom and noticing that mystery cut on his neck but my first thought is that somehow things will be bleeding over from the Island time line.

Holy crap! I was not prepared to see Desmond on the plane. Jack seems to recognize him from somewhere but it doesn't seem to be from the race in the stadium like Jack remembered him from in the hatch. I think this is surely another instance of the island time line coming through. Also, if you look closely you can see that Desmond is wearing a wedding ring. I don't believe he would have been married to Penny even though she may have been born before 1977. I wonder if he may have married the girl he ditched a week before the wedding to become a priest?!

I loved the scene with the island under water, I really thought that was one of the coolest scene's yet, I don't think it will be the coolest by the time the series is over!



I was surprised as we flash back to Island time that it was Kate's eye that we're wondering all summer who's eye was shown in the first very very short promo for season 6. I am confused if we are to believe that the bomb didn't go off why every one's ears would be ringing and Kate would end up in a tree. Or am I thinking about this all wrong and one timeline is that the bomb went off and it worked and the bomb went off and it didn't work? Is it possible that Jacob dieing was so huge that is what sent the Losties back to their own time?

When we see Kate in the sideways flash she is still a fugitive but somehow she seems very different to me than on the first flight. Somehow she seems harder to me and much more cynical and more of a smart ass and rude to other's besides the Marshall. Even when she meets Jack I believe she is only nice to him so she can steal his pen.

When we meet alternate time line Hurley he is the luckiest guy alive! How does someone go from being as unlucky as Hurley was to being the luckiest guy alive? I believe Hurley is "lucky" now because he didn't end up accidentally killing people when his extra weight caused an accident.

Back to the island I really had hopes that Juliet would some way make it after Kate hears her but she just fell to far.

I totally thought the scene where Sayid is spitting up blood was way disgusting, yuck!

Then Hurley meets Jacob and he tells him that if he takes Sayid to the temple they will help him. Was Jacob responding to Sayid's question of where he would go after torturing all those people?



I was very disappointed to see that in the sideways flash Jin was an ass again and Sun was wearing that dreadful sweater again. However as we see Sun admiring Rose and Bernard she seems almost oblivious that her husband is a jerk.

It was very bittersweet to see John and Boone interacting on the plane knowing how Boone dies on the island. I don't think that John actually went on the walk about, but when he was talking about it, it was almost like he was talking about his time on the island. Is it possible that John is already aware of his island self in the alternate time line?

I cringed when Boone asked John if he was pulling his leg? So sad. Of course it was also sad when Boone tells Locke, if those goes down I'm with you.

Then we get to see what happened right after Ben killed Jacob. Flocke says he burned up in the fire but that wouldn't have been possible in that amount of time. Is his body disappearing a reference to Christ's body not being in the tomb?

I'm not quite sure who Jacob was talking about when he told Hurley that the one who killed him was an old friend who grew tired of his company. Yes, Ben put the knife in his chest but it was Flocke that orchestrated the whole thing.

When Jack goes in to save Charlie I wondered if there was something special about the fact that Charlie didn't look like he did on the first flight but looked like he did when he he saw Hurley at the mental institution. I also have started to wonder if when Hurley was seeing "dead" people and talking and interacting with him if he was actually interacting with the people as they are in the alternate timeline. Of course that wouldn't be the case with Jacob.

It was so heart wrenching to see Sawyer cradling Juliet and wanting so badly for her to be okay. Juliet loves Sawyer so much that she would rather not be with him and have him be off the island than to be with him on the island. When Juliet starts talking nonsense it would be easy to assume it was nonsense but her nonsense is an awful lot like Charlotte's last words before she died. I believe as do many others that Juliet's mind was traveling to another place where she could see that Jack's plan worked and that Sawyer was safely off the island. I believe sometime during the sixth season we will see Juliet and Sawyer meet for coffee.
Back at the statue flocke wants to speak to Richard, when Ben comes back without Richard but with Braham, Flocke asks Ben where Richard is and Ben says he isn't coming and then Flocke says who is that behind hm? You would think if he knows Richard he would be able to see that wasn't Richard, but he seemed to think if was Richard until Ben told him otherwise.

Back on the plane as it lands when the Marshall gets up and gets the famous briefcase from overhead Kate doesn't even look at it. Is it possible that Tom didn't die?

I really thought that Locke may have been able to walk in the alternate timeline but sadly he was still paralyzed.


As part two starts we see Sawyer bury Juliet. He has Miles stay with him so he can "talk" to her and find out what she was going to say. Like I said I believe she knows Jack's plan worked because her mind traveled to the other timeline.

Everyone besides Miles and Sawyer take Sayid to the temple, when they get inside they find Montand with his missing arm which means if "Montand" came out the temple it wasn't him.

When Jack is called to the courtesy desk to find out that his father's coffin is missing I felt like Jack's reaction was much different than it would have been if the first flight had made it safely. I think he would have gone completely off the handle, but instead he is relatively calm for the situation. Also, when he speaks to John he seems comforted when John tells him that they didn't lose his father but just his coffin. It's almost like Jack is not as crazy in this timeline, almost like he's not dealing with his ex wife. Could they still be married? Maybe they never met at all? That would be okay, I never liked her character.

When the losties make it to the temple and are taken by the others, Hurley saves them by giving them the guitar case which is an ankh with all their names on a piece of paper. This seems to satisfy them and they don't shoot them. Hurley demands to know what is written on the paper and the Lennon look alike says that it says if Sayid dies they are all in a lot of trouble, in other words I think it says that every lostie that has been touched by Jacob has something very important to do, and it has to be all of them.

Sun and Jin are stopped because it's not noted that Jin has all that cash with them. Somehow I think if they had had all that cash when the plane cashed we might have seen it, so I'm left wondering why he needed all that cash? Also, why does the security lady call Sun Miss Paik? Are they not married yet? Is it possible that Sun's father didn't give permission for them to get married so they are running away together?

I'm not sure whether I believe that Sun knows English, I think she may not because if maybe she isn't even married to him yet she wouldn't have to go to all the trouble to make a plan to get away from him.

As they take Sayid near the spring the water is not clear. I believe that is because Jacob is dead and without his spirit and protection the spring will not work as it's supposed to.

Sayid ends up drowning and Jack attempts to do CPR on Sayid, I believe this scene shows how much Jack has changed. When he was trying to save Charlie after Ethan hung him it seemed that Jack would never give up. Now we see that he was able to realize that he couldn't save Sayid even though he tried.

Well, the one thing that hasn't changed about Kate is that she is still a runner and will do anything to get free. The big surprise in this scene of course is that the cab she gets into has Claire in it. You can't tell at all whether Clair is pregnant, but my gut is that she is. I thought in the episode Raised by Another the psychic told her the couple would meet her at the airport, I could be wrong, but obviously in this scene we see she was traveling alone.

Hurley follows the Lennon look alike to talk to their leader it seems. Hurley informs that Jacob is dead and they can't act fast enough. It seems with Jacob dead they have no protection and must go to great lengths to keep the man in black out without Jacob's protection.

Terry O Quinn is such a good actor. He can be so good as John and look completely evil as Flocke. He talks to Ben about what John was thinking as Ben strangled him. He mocks John yet he admires him for being the only one who wants to stay on the island. Ben asks Flocke what he wants and in one of the creepiest scenes in my opionion he says he wants to go home. Where is home? I believe it is either the temple, or heaven. If Flocke is the devil, it would make sense that he would want his place back in heaven.

When Flocke finally sees Richard he tells him that it is good to see him out of his chains. It would be easy to assume that he was a slave on the black rock, but maybe it means something symbolic rather than real chains.

I have no idea what Flocke means when he says he is very disappointed in all of them. Any ideas?

At the end of this episode we see Sayid come back to life. Is it just me or does his voice sound very different? Also, why couldn't Miles "talk" to him? I think Jack would have known if he was dead or not.


The two books that were shown in the premiere were Haroun and the Sea of Stories by Salman Rushie. Desmond is seen reading this on second flight 815. The second book is Fear and Trembling by Søren Aabye Kierkegaard.

Right now I am reading The Dark Tower Series by Stephen King. There is a lot time travel and parallel and alternate universes. I'm only on book three but what the character Jake goes through explains a little of what might happen to the losties in the alternate universe. In the first book Jake is killed in New York when he is hit by a car and somehow ends up in the same universe as the Gunslinger, the main character. The Gunslinger ends up sacrificing Jake so he could meet the Man in Black so he can continue his ultimate goal of reaching the Dark Tower. In the second book the Gunslinger goes back to New York in the three different times to "Draw" his needed companions. In one of the time lines he ends up in New York at the same time that Jake is killed and the Gunslinger is able to prevent him from being killed yet he doesn't realize how that will change everything. Jack is alive but remembers dying and has memories of both time lines and starts to feel like he is going crazy. I believe the losties in the alternate time line will start to have memories of the their time on the island, how awful that would be for the losties who died on the island?

If you read this whole thing, I'm shocked. Please leave a comment!



No comments:

Post a Comment